Monday 3 April 2017

African Sweet Potato & Peanut Stew


Thank you Riverford for including a recipe for Sweet Potato & Peanut Stew in your vegbox a few weeks ago.
'
The kids are not huge fans of sweet potato, and making a dish essentially of 'just sweet potato' was a bit of a gamble.  But half way through tea, and the gamble appears to be paying off.

The recipe in the link above seems to be slightly different to the one I received with my vegbox, and as I didn't have all the ingredients this is what I ended up making.  It reminds me of tagines. 

Serves 6 

1 onion, peeled and diced
1 tbsp olive or sunflower oil
200g Portobello mushrooms (didn't have any)
2 garlic cloves 
25g fresh ginger (didn't have any - used 1tsp ground instead)
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
1 tbsp tomato pureĆ© 
2 tsp ground cumin 
2 tsp ground coriander 
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch cayenne pepper (I used 1tsp smoked paprika) 
1 tin chopped tomatoes 
150g red rice (didn't use any)
2 vegetable stock cubes (Riverford recipe did not include any stock)
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter 
200g spinach (used kale instead), finely shredded

Fry the onion in the oil for a few minutes.  Once it begins to colour, add the garlic, spices, and tomato paste.  Once you can smell the hot spices strongly, add the sweet potato and tinned tomatoes.  Add two cans of recently boiled water and bring to the boil.  Turn down to a simmer, cover, and leave to cook for 30 minutes stirring from time to time.

After half an hour add the crumbled vegetable stock cubes, peanut butter, and kale.  Stir well to break up the stock cubes and peanut butter and cook with a lid on for a further 10 minutes until the kale is tender.

I'm serving this with brown rice tonight.

NB. Before finding the recipe leaflet I googled sweet potato+peanut+stew.  I turned up many recipes, one of which I noted was cooked in a slow cooker.  If cooking this in a slow cooker I would simply add all the ingredients, including the peanut butter and kale, to the slow cooker without bothering to fry anything at the start.  Next time we get sweet potatoes in the vegbox maybe I'll give it a go.

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

No comments:

Post a Comment