Monday 11 September 2017

Piccalilli (Hot Mustard Bean, Cauliflower & Courgette Pickle)


Been meaning to try this recipe for quite a while.  Some friends made it last year and it was delicious.

I've followed the Hairy Biker's Hot Mustard Pickle recipe to the letter.  Yes, it does seem a lot of salt but I have to say I can't taste it in the remnants in the pan.  And maybe do not cook the vegetables so long? My cauliflower has lost it's crunch. But there is another month before I am supposed try it.

250g green beans, sliced into 1cm pieces
500g cauliflower, cut into 1cm cubes
250g courgette, cut into 1cm cubes
100g fine sea salt
3 onions, finely chopped
300ml malt vinegar
300ml white wine vinegar (I only used malt vinegar)
1 heaped tbsp English mustard powder powder
1 heaped tbsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
25g cornflour
250g sugar

Mix the salt thoroughly into the beans, cauliflower, and courgette in a non metallic bowl, cover, and leave for 24 hours. After 24 hours, rinse the vegetables thoroughly in several changes of water.

Simmer the onions in the malt vinegar for 15 minutes whilst you mix the dried spices and cornflour into 5tbsp of the remaining 300ml of vinegar.  Add the sugar and left over vinegar to the pan with the onions, and the drained vegetables.  Simmer for 10 minutes (I might try 5 minutes next time).

Add the spice paste and stir through until it thickens.  Here the Hairy Bikers cook the vegetables for a further 10 minutes, but I would take the pickle of the heat once the sauce has thickened and bottle it straight away.  After all, the heat of the sauce will continue cooking the vegetables for a while longer anyway.

Seal in sterilised jars and leave for a month before using.  I, however, had a little bit leftover from my 5 jars made at the weekend and used it in a ham sandwich yesterday.  It was fantastic!

Post Script: A quick google has turned up River Cottage's Pam Corbin's recipe for Piccalilli.  I note she does not cook the vegetables at all, but instead just stirs them into the hot sauce.  Next time...

Twitter: leesashomemade
Instagram: leesashomemade
Facebook: Leesa's Homemade

2 comments: